Sunday, December 27, 2009

December 13th & 14th - Heading Home

Home, Safe and Sound, after Driving 9,000 miles around the United States

December 13th

Tony’s Notes
We got up early and started to get ready for a travel day. Tina fixed us a nice breakfast. I got the RV on the street and hooked up the car.

Once ready to roll, we went in and said our goodbyes to everyone. We had a great visit, and now it was time to make our way home to Michigan.

I was concerned about weather. There was Ice and Snow, and Rain in many parts of the Northeast areas. We hit the road and took I-95 up through North Carolina, Virginia, and past Washington D.C. area into Baltimore. Both of us were already resolved to get home and decided not to stop. The weather was wet and grey, so stopping to sightsee or eat Crab Cakes was not that desirable for us.

We got through a good part of Pennsylvania and slept in a Rest Area on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Carolina’s Notes
Well the day came for me to get home. Tina made French toast for breakfast, which I appreciated. We visited a little longer and then left. The weather was wet and cold but the travel wasn’t bad. We drove about half way to Michigan then stayed at a Rest Area. Originally we thought that we’d stop and get Baltimore Crab Cakes but we both decided to get home to beat the snowy conditions. The day was nice yet uneventful. I was grateful because we were staying just ahead of the winter conditions.


December 14th

Tony’s Notes
We picked our travel days well. We made it through the mountain ranges and through most of the hilly area of Pennsylvania. We woke up and threw on clothes, and we were about 110 miles from the Ohio border. We drove through to Ohio at a good pace.

While exiting the Pennsylvania Turnpike, it cost $24 if Tolls. I was shocked. We entered the Ohio Turnpike and made our way across Ohio with hopes of getting home in the early afternoon. We stopped at a rest area that had Panera Bread and had a nice lunch.

We stopped at a Flying J near Toledo and we were able to dump the Black and Grey tanks for the last time before winterizing. I was quite happy because with it being freezing temperatures, I was not sure the dump station would be open and did not know where I would find a place near home. We were seeing snow on the ground…Yeah!

Carolina’s Notes
We got up and threw on clothes so we could get home around 2:00 p.m. We actually got home closer to 5:00 p.m. but we made it home safe and sound. Getting from Point A to Point B in one piece without incident is the most important thing.

It felt foreign being home. It was familiar but foreign. We unloaded what we could for the night. We decided to grab a burger and a beer from Little Tony’s because neither one of us wanted to cook.

Little Tony’s staff greeted us with open arms. We informed them of our journey while Tony and I enjoyed our favorite items. It felt like ‘Old Home Week.’ We decided to call it an early night because we were both tired from our journey.

We arrived home and flaked out. I watched what I could of TV but the Comcast Cable connection wasn’t working so I missed out on Monday Night Football. I called Comcast Cable and scheduled an appointment. I turned in early grateful for the uneventful journey home, my sabbatical trip and that Tony didn’t divorce me.

No comments:

Post a Comment