Friday, December 11, 2009

December 7th - Goldsboro, North Carolina

Carolina’s Notes
Everything was going according to plan other than a tickle I picked up leaving the cruise ship. I woke up with a scratchy throat. Tony and I drove all day. I was progressively getting a bad cold. I had wanted to stop a couple times; I wanted good coffee in the morning and I wanted to stop to get chicken soup. The requested stops didn’t take place however we did stop at later times for gas, etc. The later it got the more I wanted my chicken soup; the one stop that Tony made ended in disaster. I didn’t make myself clear because I was feeling sicker so instead of getting chicken soup I would up getting into a REAL shouting match with Tony. My throat was really ailing and yelling was only making it worse. Tony was definitely ready to kick me to the curb. He finally stopped at a Rest Area and we had a Showdown. I eventually realized how unfair I had been to Tony and asked for his forgiveness. The stops made or not made today were ‘just victims of circumstances.’ Tony and I decided to press onward toward Goldsboro, NC. Our stomachs were upset from the arguing so bunking in the Rest Area didn’t seem like the correct course of action. We drove into the night and before I knew it I was thirty-nine miles away from my friend’s home. I called my friend and she told us to get over to her A.S.A.P.

We arrived at my girlfriend Tina’s home and we enjoyed the time. This was a good stop because Tony and I were able to relax a little. I felt that we weren’t so tense. Anyway, we visited until the working stiffs had to go to bed and we went to bed ourselves. Tony and I were worn out. I was getting sicker as the hours moved. I crashed and Tony followed.

Tony’s Notes
I was very happy to have gotten on the road quickly this morning. I thought that it was 800 miles to Goldsboro, NC from Jacksonville, FL. However, it was actually about 480 miles. I had gotten confused that it was 800 miles from Goldsboro to Detroit. So, when we had made it so close to Tina and John’s house, I was glad we could actually get there that night.

We definitely were having tense words with each other today. Unfortunately, Carolina was coming down with a bad cold that she must have picked up on the ship. I do feel that I have a caring and compassionate husband (most of the time). However, when we stopped at the last rest area in the evening, I had stopped to unhook the car and put some of Carolina’s clothes in the car so that she could make her way while I go my own way, etc. I was quite fed up with her bad behavior. I am certain that the next time we take off on the road for months at a time, we will need to have individual activities, and not spend every single moment together. Anyway, we made it to Tina’s and hooked up the RV in their driveway.

Tina and John have a very nice home, and a wonderful family. The kids are all young adults and I have known them since they were babies. Our next stop after Goldsboro is home in Harper Woods. We will have to winterize the RV, get it in storage, and get back to earning a living. I think we may stay in Goldsboro a little longer than planned, and watch the weather. I have hopes to avoid snow and ice driving home.

No comments:

Post a Comment